A dedicated umbrella body for Criminal Record Checks (CRBs) throughout the United Kingdom

Frequently Asked Questions

We understand that many people experiencing Criminal Records checks for the first time may have a number of questions.  We have listed below responses to the questions we are most often asked.  If you cannot find the answer to your question here, please email us with your query and we will respond as quickly as possible – checks@firststandardltd.co.uk

Can an employer insist that I apply for a criminal records check?

  • Yes, but only of the position applied for comes under the Exceptions Order of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1995.  For Regulated Positions, typically those which involve direct contact with Children and/or Protected Adults in such places as Schools and NHS establishments, an Enhanced Disclosure is a legal requirement.

What is the cost of a CRB and who pays for it?

  • The cost varies depending upon in which part of the United Kingdom you will be working.
    • In England and Wales, the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) provides Standard Disclosures (£26.00) and Enhanced Disclosures (£44.00);
      • these have to be submitted through a Registered Body, such as First Standard, and administration fees will apply.
    • in Northern Ireland the responsible body is Access NI whose fees are Standard Disclosures (£25.00) and Enhanced Disclosures (£33.00);
      • these have to be submitted through a Registered Body, such as First Standard, and administration fees will apply.
    • in Scotland Disclosures are provided by Disclosure Scotland:
      • Police Act Disclosure Applications Basic, Standard or Enhanced (without Barred List checks) are £25.00;
      • Applications to join the PVG Scheme is £59.00 and a Scheme Record Update is £18.00
        • where these have to be submitted through a Registered Body, such as First Standard, administration fees will apply.

What personal information is required?

  • In all cases you should supply your full Name (including any forenames that appear on your Birth Certificate, Driving Licence or Passport); any previous Names (with dates); Date of Birth, National Insurance Number, Place of Birth, Driving Licence Number, Passport details, (contact email and telephone – optional) plus Five-years’ continuous address history, with dates.

Why is the personal information needed?

  • The Disclosure Certificate is a legal document relating to the individual identified on it.  The personal information collected is needed to reduce errors and ensure it is delivered to the right person.

I have been asked to submit my fingerprints to confirm my identity. What should I do?

  • Follow the instructions.  The Police will not retain your fingerprints longer than is necessary to confirm your ID.

Who sees the disclosure information?

  • Only one copy of the Disclosure Certificate is issued which is sent to the individual named thereon (except for all but the Basic Disclosure in Scotland where a copy is sent to the Registered Body for the Employer)  However, you should show your Disclosure Certificate to your employer, once you are satisfied that it contains no errors.

What about Data Protection?

  • All those handling Disclosure Information are legally obliged to obey the Data Protection Act and not disclose the details to anyone not entitled to see it.

Can I be employed if I have a criminal record?

  • Yes, although you may be restricted to certain areas, depending upon the conviction record and its significance for the post in question.

What should I do if a candidate’s Disclosure reveals a criminal record?

  • There are protocols to follow to consider if the information is such as to suggest s/he may not be employed in the position to which it relates.  First Standard can assist – please contact us on 01434 611587, or via the Contact Form on this website

What can I do if I disagree with the information included on a Disclosure Certificate?

  • You should immediately refer to the issuing authority, stating why you are challenging the information, and ask them to review it.  If they agree that a mistake has been made, they will issue a replacement

What is the ISA and what does it do?

  • The ISA manages the Lists of those barred from working with Children and/or Protected Adults

How do I register with the PVG Scheme?  Please see the Disclosure Scotland pages on this website